Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Double Dipping or Dealing in Twos

I arrived in Boulder, Colorado on Sunday night. Yesterday, Tuesday, that was two days ago.

Plan number one was to push the wheelchair up Flagstaff Mountain Road. It has a solid supply of bicyclists in training. It has a strong supply of switch backs. It is 5.3 miles in length, maybe 10% grade. It starts about a mile or so above sea level.

Day one's workout was maybe 40 minutes commuting and warming up. Day one's hill was about 3 hours long.

So then it's on to day number two. Day two decided I should carry two spare quarts of liquid tied beneath the wheel chair frame. Day two was asking for two runs up Flagstaff. Run up number one cheaped me out on hill workout time, 2 and a half hours instead of 3- and that is with the weight of the extra liquid. Two, I meant -to- make matters worse, there was run number two. Stingy old run number two of Tuesday only gave me only a two hour hill, even though still the same hill.

In the words of the immortal and illustrious two winged ascent artist, Jonathan Livingston Seagull: Perfect speed is already being there.

In theory I need to head up Flagstaff Mountain Road four (that's two times two) more times and I will cut the hill ascent time down from three (that's two plus half of two) hours to approximately zero hours, zero minutes.

But then I'd miss out on the whole fun of the push, so two days after yesterday I'm going to try hill #2 here in hill land #2.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Cuz,
Heard of your ascent in a weird way in Northern NJ a few weeks ago, then found it here again. Say hi to more mountains for us. We miss you and your art! Can we order a long division online?

15.9.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home