Saturday, August 12, 2006

Training and Trying

I've been in New Hampshire for 7 days now. I come here specificaly with the intention of "cleaning up my act" and pushing my wheelchair along long distances and up steep hills to prepare to once again ascend the Autoroad on Mount Washington.

Sunday included an approximately four mile circuit, about a mile of it up a medium steep hill.

Monday was mostly easy highway grade, though it was over four hours and maybe 16 miles. The scenery was pretty good, New hampshire mountains and woodlands. I traveled from Intervale, just north of North Conway, to Jackson, further north, then back.

Tuesday was better. I went to Town Hall Road. Town hall allows one to push along five or so miles of dirt road, getting harder with looser stones as you go. Then there is the trip back.... I was tired after this one.

Wedneday was awesome. Right smack in the mountains and woodlands. Many beautiful sights. A good distance of pretty hard hills and even a smattering of very hard hill. By the end I was stiff and dizzy and ready for a rest day.

Thursday was rest day, clean up day, and a-bit of-organising day.

Friday was hard hill day. Hurricane Mountain Road has 2.2 miles of 15% grade up one side and 1.3 miles of 17% grade up the other side. Each side took about the same length of time. After doing the 15% side, ane getting ready at the bottom of the 17% side, I sat imagining doing the 15% side once again after topping the 17% side. By the time I did top out the 17% side, I was a fair amount more humble than I had been beforehand. The scenery was beautiful, cool shade from trees and a stream on the one side, daunting steep parts and a rewaeding view on the other side. I was pretty exhausted on Friday evening, yesterday.

Today, Saturday is rest day again. I am doing further organising, like trying to get pictures in order for the Kinetics page; also writing this entry to get the whole blog thing moving. A number of other points will hopefully be addressed today. Then by bedtime hopefully I will have an itinerary set for tomorrow.

Before I close I must mention the strong support I have received from Jean Lee. She had invited me to stay with her and her family to get this whole project started. I have been partaking of her family's generosity for a week now and I have them to thank for the wonderful experience so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home