Thursday, August 24, 2006

Late Start

Today is Thursday, the 24th of August.

I have laundry to do, wheelchair cushion adjustment to carry out, Bach tickets to buy (???), lots of other organisational details to address, plus I want to go back up to Crawford Notch. I'd like to leave about three hours ago.

Clean up chores got pretty involved last night. Didn't lay down till past midnight. Got more clean up to do this morning before I head out. That's okay though because I am planning to get up around five this morning after going to bed around nine last night. Except I didn't lay down at 9. And I didn't get up till 8. Looks like the body is enjoying a rest morning while I get off to a late start.

Saturday and Sunday were actual rest days.

Monday was an adventurous trip up the service road at Cranmore Mountain Ski resort. I traveled up and down with a local woman named Sally. Saly is not very big, but turns out she is quite a power house. We had brought a tether on our walk in case she needed it to slow me down on descent. Turns out the way up was so chalenging that we threw on the tether and Sally "assisted" me on the upward journey. She assisted me on the way down at steeper places also. So I'm thinking that with this dynamo dragging me up steep grass and rock paths I won't get much of a workout. Totally wrong! I had to keep a pretty high cadence to keep the tether a bit slack. Sally was complaining about the excessive number of rest stops. I was a bit frustrated because we hardly stopped at all. All in all, I was fairly blown out that night. I had no problem sleeping in on Tuesday.

Wednesday, yesterday, was head up Route 302 as far as you care to day. In all I think I did over 35 miles. I got into a valley called Crawford Notch. I traveled as far as the Appalachian Trail connection on 302. Later I learned that their is an Appalachian Mountain Club building maybe 3 miles further uo the hill. I turned back when I did in order to get back to North Conway by dark. Hopefully in the next hour or so I will leave North Conway and make it to that AMC lodge. I have arranged a few possibilities for a ride back so that I can spend more time travelling northward, travelling uphill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home