Saturday, August 19, 2006

Rest Day

Yesterday, Friday, was a rest day after having pushed up the Auto road the previous day.

What do wheelchair users with very tender hands and partly depleted muscles do on rest day, when they actually do need rest?

Well me at least, I sat in a kayak and paddled up and down the Saco river just accross the New Hampshire Maine border. Jean Lee aranged to take her, her son, myself and a young friend of her son on a boating mission. We paddled quite leisurely. many who only floated passed us by. I paddled up and down the Saco a fair bit, saying hello to many of the parade of boaters out enjoying the peace and natural beauty. The SAaco was kind of a promenade yesterday, what with the excellent weather and all.

I had the chance to swim some- something I haven't done since last year's time in New Hampshire. We picked up over a hundred pounds of trash- a fair bit Jean snorkled up from river bottom. I even got to jump off a rope swing- this is something I haven't done in 15 years- since the last time I jumped into water and burst fractured a vertebra.

This time water entry was from maybe ten feet, instead of ten or so times that much. This time I wasn't so in over my head, though of course the water level was well over my head. Looking at my shadow on the water surface while falling after letting go of the rope reminded me of a time maybe twenty years ago at a rope swing on the Perkiomen Creek in Pennsylvania. That time the swing was much more dramatic. But just like yesterday, the water was refreshing and welcoming. Yesterday, just like that time from twenty years ago, the shadow I saw at rope release was me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home