Thursday, August 31, 2006

Twilight Comes After Sunset

Monday found me back on Hurricane Road.
Monday found me making another late start.
Monday found me doing the front side climb in 50 minutes instead of 75.
Monday allowed me to go up Hurricane Mountain Road from the front, the back, and the front again.

Then Darling Monday suggested I get on back to Coach Tim's place as sunset and twighlight were soon approaching. Upon arrival I found that Assistant Coaches Marc and Mary were just about done cooking up spaghetti and meatballs- and there was enough for everybody. There sure are loads of things about which one may feel gratitude and humility.

Tuesday withheld the BLT I'd set as my reward for making the 10-ish miles to the Bear Notch deli in Bartlett. Being not of a metropolis, the deli closed at 6pm.

At 5 past 6, Mischievous Tuesday directed my attention toward the Bear Notch Road sign. Me being me, and often shunning comen sense, I dismissed advisement that the road was 12 miles lon and accepted advisement that it was 2 miles long. In lieu of BLT, I raced down (up) Bear Notch Road as quickly as I could push, forever looking for its crest. 4 or 5 miles later, after sunset but yet before twilight, close but still not at the top, I acepted a ride to the Kancamagus Bear Notch intersection from a spontaneous volunteer rescue party. Thumbing it back to North Conway after dark went off without a hitch, well actually with two hitches.

And finally there was Wonderful Wednesday- Wonderful Wednesday where I wed the wonderment that is Mount Washington Valley.
Wednesday found me exiting a car beyond Bartlett, beyond even Hart's Location.
Wednesday found me making a (now customary) late start but gifted me with transport to resynchronise my schedule with the aproach of sunset.
Wednesday allowed me once again to travel through Crawford Notch but withheld the catharsis that had cleansed me the last time I had crested.
Instead Wednesday offered me the contemplative beauty of the grasses along route 302 approaching twin Mountain. Greens beneath, reds above, varied honey wheat throughout.

The Wednesday gave me Zealand Road. Liz provided support throughout the day. Assistant Coach Liz- Team Us member Liz.

On Wednesday, at sunset, Liz drove from Twin Mountain to Zealand while I ate a tunafish sub from Quizno's.
On Wednesday, at twilight, I had the oppurtunity to push as quickly as I could up Zealand Road, getting proper cardio on the shallow incline of the dirt road.
On Wednesday, well after twilight, for the first time ever, I finally linked up and identified the Little Dipper. If you can juggle four balls, juggling three might not seem like all that much- still, I saw the Little Dipper.

Finally Wednesday, just to show off its richness and generosity, gave me me: me lying down upon Zealand and looking up at all that is not Zealand and not New Hampshire and not myself or us or you. Wednesday gave me about the biggest shooting star I'd ever seen. Wednesday gave me the chance to make a wish. I tried my best to wish rightly. I attempted to wish with gratitude and humility, and maybe courage as well.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

aye to the Pyritic Ammonite

31.8.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only dude who comments on this blog? Hell no, there's "phentermine" and "sally" and "mom" and "missin burb bro" and whomever's who in whoville.

I back, with a message - mod squad style - the nunnies are coming for you. They say this s-for-z stuff is over the top and have broken out the vintage 18" rulers with the brass blades to lay it on and pipe you down. Watch your 6, dude, whilst you roll on.

OtherwiZe, cheers from the lower level.

And by the way, what's up with this neck-breaking shit (a.k.a., poop) and not returning the sane to sane calls?

It's your call.

31.8.06  
Blogger Sean said...

dear Mr Anonymous and Mr Pirate

thank you both very much

3.9.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the fuck? One comment by - your friend and mine - "Mr. Anonymous," (take care as to where you place your commas - as we know and have discussed, it's not the comma's fault . . . it's the semicolon, you realiSe, that isn't doing its duty . . . hanging in the shadows drinking whiskey (or "whisky" if from Canada, et al.) waiting for either the period to do the work, or the comma to get blamed . . . coy! Most dudes - gender neutral - don't know who the semi-dude is or what he or she stands for, or shall I say "for what he or she stands" . . . ?) and you shut the fucking program down. FUCK (yes, dude, those are intentional 'el' caps)!

Otherwise, things are good and annoying in the otherwise anonymous world, where anonymous people do anonymous things, and drink anonymously, and press their anonymously cheeky faces against the soothing coolness of their anonymous porcelain friends; you know the name.

The sunrise seems so grand when it comes first thing in the morning. By my anonymous count, it's been six, maybe seven days since the last blog.

Otherwise, someone seems to think it's 1918 and that nothing in the anonymously civil world of ants could occur until the treaty has been signed, and/or 11/11 at 11:11 AM has passed. Prepare for a signing ceremony of ant proportions when you meet your tirade maker.

*

Long Live the Comma!

6.9.06  
Blogger Sean said...

Yes, okay, so I need to learn more about punctuation and its proper use. I do understand that there are resources available for this in Red Lake falls in Minnesota.

I will have to make a point to go there and improve my prose through more deliberate and informed use, or non-use, of the varied members of the punctuation family.

As to history, I can only say thank you for sharing this knowledge of important events.

Long Live the antFarm!

7.9.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home