Saturday, September 17, 2005

Yesterday's News

Today is Friday. This afternoon I went back to Chautauqua Park. The gravel road was as before- doesn't seem steep to look up, but the grade is impressive when looking back to where I came from.

The top of the gravel road came more quickly than I expected. Sooon I sat again at the shelter, realising I had come up a good height.

Last time up here I climbed the trail leading to Flat Irons 1 and 2. That trail led me to rock quasi-stairsafter about a half hour. Today I took the Roayal Arches trail which leads to Flat Irons 3 & 4.The trail is pretty rocky, but I didn't get completely stopped by any obstacles. All rocks eventually allowed passage. All slopes remained bearable. And hour and some into this Royal Arches trail the Flat Irons were getting very large. The sun though was not only behind the Front Range, at this point it was past the hidden horizon as well. Twilight was upon me. It was time for descent.

Again I swooshed down the loose gravel road slowing as a skier does at the turns.

Last time in the dark at the bottom I spoke with a retiring couple. We spoke of the addictive quality of hill climbing.

This time in the dark at the botttom I spoke with a younger couple. One of the two offered me most of a Chinese food platter. At first I said that I was fine. Quickly I realised that I was on my way alone to find a place to purchase a meal. I accepted the offer and stayed to eat and converse.


The next chapter starts Sunday or so. Soon my brother Timothy, his friend Raul, and myself as well will be leaving Boulder in Colorado and heading to Yosemite in California.

The wheelchair won't even be in the picture for this California incline. No 300 feet vertical gain per mile. Not even 700 feet of vertical gain per mile. This time the vertical gain will be almost in coincidence with the distance traversed. This time the hill is called El Capitan. Although "El Cap" is fairly smooth, it is quite far from graded, groomed or paved in any way.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

George Clinton in Philly, 10.29....next thurs. are you there?
Don't look down.
LFK

21.9.05  
Blogger Sean said...

Hey L, hope you're well.
I'm thinking next Thursday will find me 5 or so 7th's from the top of El Capitan. But October 29, that is likely a can-do.

23.9.05  
Blogger Sean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

23.9.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

25.5.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

25.5.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

25.5.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home