Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Busting

So back probably a week or so ago I contacted Pikes Peak Highway and they weren't very receptive to having their road available to me. Maybe I entered the phone conversation awkwardly. Anyway, it didn't appear to me that it would be pleasant to go try Pikes Peak.

Enter Mount Evans. Well Mt. Evans has been here and has been suggested to me a number of times. I think it's 14,230 feet, a 4600 foot rise, 14 miles in length. I know it's the highest paved road in the USA.

Today was the day. Oh well but maybe I was up pretty high and we had a snow storm threatening to ice over shut us down around 1:45. It was pretty cool. A park ranger employee named Kristen came to rescue Raul and I and save us from the long, cold, possibly treacherous walk down. There were two bicycler guys from Denver already in the park vehicle. Their hands had gotten too cold to work their brakes on the way down the hill. We were a mile and some yet from the top, but the observatory was looking close.

With a bit of grace, everything worked out fine. We'd started before 7. Corey, the third team member, suggested later that it is important when going in mountains over 12,000 feet to plan to be getting lower by 1 or so. Like trying to roll to Brainard Lake, an earlier start will be necessarry.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

S,

Well, you can roll over my left big toe a few times for not calling you when apparently in very close proximity to you. We were in RMNP from PM 9.8.05 to AM 9.10.05. Hiked up to Andrew's Glacier for a cool sardine and smoked oyster lunch on 9.9.05. Went on to vacation like slugs in Aspen for a couple days. Back here now, not there now, save it for another day, I guess.

Sorrily yours,
g

16.9.05  
Blogger Sean said...

T & G-----

Thanks for the commentary. Yosemite is next. Then we will see what the October weather has to say about Boulder vicinity self propulsion.

17.9.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

25.5.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home