Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Climbing

Writing this in the Lower Pine campground in Yosemite Valley California.

Have had very little access to the net since entering Yosemite 7 days ago.

Have seen many large conifers in the past week. There are wonderful broad leaf trees as well.

Then there is the rock. The Valley is framed by massive granite walls. This rock is grand. One big chunk is known as El Capitan.

Staring at El Cap is captivating. The giant face is rich in mysterious detail. It is mesmerising in a primal way.

Today, Monday, we begin our ascent of El Cap. The team leader, my brother Tim, tells me it will take 7 days. There are two other climbers travelling with us -Ammon and Cedar.

Although there are many things going through my mind, I am mostly just trying to stay low key and maintain patience. I am anxious to start.

There is no dial up or wireless on the wall, but I will have wait time while the crew fix lines for me to pull up on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home