Sunday, October 01, 2006

Made It !!

I made it to the top.
I even got back down safely.
A number of people, a large number, were very helpful in this effort and it would not have happened without this support.

I left Arnott's Lodge at 8AM on Friday. Dipped the wheels in the Ocean along Kalanianaole Street. Headed throuh Hilo's Old City section and up toward the Saddle Road. After many beeps and waves and other shows of kindness, I reached the Mauna Kea access road around 8:30PM. Dan, Raul and myself finally exited the clouds and started up JA Burns Way to the visitor Center. We saw the North Star low on the horizon. We watched Casseopia and the Pleiades rotate around the North Star.

I saw shooting stars. I watched Orion the Hunter rise sideways above the horizon and gain in dazzling grandeur as he continued upward- the whole time sitting kind of sideways.

After 18 hours I was at the Visitor Center and thinking so much about getting out of clammy wet clothes into dry stuff and getting a peanut butter and jelly bagel into my body.

There are 2 and a half minutes left of internet access at this terminal.

Slept in Dan's SUV passenger seat from 4 till 7. Park staff, Shane, was kind enough to get us coffee and we continued upward as did the sun, and also the clouds.

Topped at 11:45PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations - we knew you could do it and were thinking about you all weekend. Next time, let's have Sean Skycam so we can see you via the Internet.

3.10.06  
Blogger GiYo said...

You are a huge inspiration for me now and forever! I met you last night at Shaka's. I know it was fate. I've been on the Big Island working on my first full length album for the past five weeks and your article in the newspaper was the only motivating thing I have read in the news in a long time. And to meet you was amazing. Truely amazing. I am definitely going to write a song in honor of you and I'll have to get your stamp of appoval. You can check me out here:

http://www.uberrecords.com
http://www.morishigejoe.com

5.10.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only person who comments on this blog? For heaven's sake, no.

Congratulations!!! from an anonymous anomaly.

8.10.06  
Blogger Sean said...

alright, here I am just a week or two later saying thanks everybody!!!!!

18.10.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home