Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Yo, What Up: Hiram and the Lift Line

On Sunday I discovered another benefit of being over forty. Being placed in the old-people's-division in the Diana Golden race series, my time in the slalom gained me a bronze medal. At first I figured there were only three entries. Turns out there were actually four. How's that for speediness.

The one problem was that I'd forgotten my ski so Erik loaned me a race ski a bit stiffer than the one he's already loaned me and also with a bit wider turning radius. After the awards presentation Liz and I went with Aaron from Attitash to Bear Peak, next mountain over. This was all well and good till I started down the lift line directly below the summit. It was ungroomed and my turns were sluggish so I ended up taking a number of light falls and winding up places I hadn't meant to go more often than expected and saying sorry and thank you far more often than desired.

On Monday we went to King Pine and I had the ski I'm used to using and it was a dream to turn since I'd worked so hard the day before turning the other ski that turning this one today felt super pretty okay. The lift line on the back side of King Pine is more technical than what I'd been floundering through the day before. But I did it- all afternoon long I went where I wanted and stopped when I wanted and it all worked well.

On Tuesday it turned out to be raining in Bedford. Liz and I were relieved of our two and a half hour commute for the adaptive cross country skiing group. We had extra preparation time and then we made our way across the field and through the woods and onto the railway bed. There are no trains these days but there are snowmobiles packing the snow that covers the tracks. Smooth sailing with a touch of ruggedness and loads of views and plenty of distance. We got as far as Route 113 which is a busy enough road that there is no snow on it and there is a good enough supply of traffic that we didn't want to try and cross. So we didn't make it to Hiram but we made the solid effort and got back at dark instead of two hours after.

So winter is finally starting to gel. The downhill is getting interesting and expressive. The cross country is getting lengthy and cardiovascular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home