Saturday, April 28, 2007

Changes and Samenesses

I don't understand grammar all that well. I've had people tell me I don't understand spelling all that well either.

People have differences. People have agreements.

Individuals find things that change in there lives. Some of these things bring comfort or even elation. Other of these things bring sadness or even acute distress. Sometimes these things are the same things.

We also find things in our lives which remain the same. Likewise it is with change. Sometimes having things not change is good or even very good. Also sometimes having things remain as they are can motivate stress and dispair.



I pushed my wheelchair up from the Pac ific Ocean to ten miles below the highest point on the island of Maui. The distance traveled was about thirty miles. The height gain was about 7500 feet. The time elapsed was around 21 hours.

Three good people traveled with me. These people did there utmost to help me get as close as I could to the top of the hill. They took turns walking with me. Maybe the company during the push was the most important part. No, definitely for me the best part of this push was the intermixed company of the three wonderful individuals who took turns sharing there presence with me as I did my best to work toward the summit of Haleakala.

Last summer I learned that sometimes it is useful, well practical, gosh it can be life threateningly important- to realise that the summit, in a certain vital sense, isn't so much an absolute spatial thing but simply the place from where you begin your return.

Is the return a return toward comfort and safety? How are change and sameness linked to comfort and elation and distress and sadness and even safety and fear?

Thank you to those who read this blog. Thank you to those who comment about this blog. Thank you so much to those who help me live my life and work my way through it all with some grace, a few smiles, and an occasional blog entry.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, son, you're (id est, 'you were', contracted) on the right track - moving on - saying the sweet things - you're (ibid, id est) "now talking" - until the last paragraph.

Dude, it's like poetry - no need to state the obvious, at the end at least. It is patronizing (yeah, dude, that's a proper, American "Z") and "needless to say." The last stanza or paragraph of poetry is the line of letters that separates the good from the bad, dude (gender neutral).

Otherwise, three cheers.

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh father, bless me, once again, I've sinned - sure as shit, I did. Well, not recently - necessarily, but there's one that popped into mind just lately that's worth confessing that I had committed a while back. I guess I'm getting good at this confession biz; clears one's head, cleans the soul, makes way for more sins and/or the memory thereof, etc.

Here's what I have for you today: I stuck gum on the underside of a catholic church pew. I know, the act in itself isn't much, but I did so in the midst of a rip-roaring, fire and brimstone sermon articulating why my room's been long since reserved in your hell. I did so intentionally. That's what makes the substance of the sin, as far as I can tell. You see, father, I had never, ever, EVER stuck gum on anything before in my life; I'm 42 years old. I couldn't resist. I thought to myself - how can I defend against this insipid drivel of god and man being spit at me?? and then it came to me - YES - use your gum! I did and it was wonderful; like sex - ah, sorry, not that you'd know - but it was great, nuntheless.

So father, there you have it, yet another sin recalled for execution. Kill if for me, would you? Get that god damned sin out of sight and mind, please - for me, as it's all about me, you see. (and pardon my puns while you're at it) I'll do what it takes, as you know; what does it take?

As always, father, bless me.

(If you're wondering why I was in church at all, it was my uncle's funeral)

29.4.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymity is the only thing one can truly call their own in the midst of The Group.

6.5.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess this blogger's trend is more of the sameness of never posting.

6.5.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home