Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sunday Post

Day 8: Saturday, April 22

Day number 8, been here more than a week and I still haven't done a month's worth of stuff yet. I guess I did a week's worth though. It appears to mostly be little things: familiarising myself with the area and people and history some; seeing turkey vultures and deer and even a beaver; sorting laundry and belongings and recycling; getting somewhat used to the Apple computer I'm typing on; little adventures to the river nearby and town a few miles off.

It's that getting acquainted period where details are fresh and bright. Gosh but it all makes me feel kind of fresh and bright.

It's actually Sunday when I'm writing this. It isn't all fresh and bright. I was partly in a funk much of yesterday afternoon, thinking about big things such as career, accomplishments, relationships, et cetera. Eventually I got back to basics and gathered 100 bb's to help me count wheelchair pushes. I started pushing my way into town, Red Lake Falls, moving one of the little metal balls from one bag to another for every 100 pushes. There is a pharmacy, grocery store and beer store next to each other at the far side of town. I counted right around 5000 pushes from the antFarm wheelchair ramp to these stores.

Of course I got my typical late start, well not so typical as I knew it would be dark for the entire return trip. I decided to stop off at the local bar & grill, the Spot, to learn about that place and see about the possibility of getting a ride. It was a fun place with Saturday night live music. I had little trouble (well, there was a little) securing safe transport once I started expressing my need to those around me. It turned into a fun night out and eventually I got home and cooked some dinner.

Day 9: Sunday, April 23

10:15 PM, it's the second day of the second week here. I got back to the river this evening after an interminable amount of piddling and fussing and such. Actually I got down there an hour or so earlier than the last two runs. So I started chopping at the next section of the broken over tree. The cut is higher above my head than the last one. I got pretty well into the downhil side of the log but the uphill side is harder to get at. I wound up digging a sort of cut and fill platform to make a stable place to sit the wheelchair but everything is still at an odd angle. I should be able to get the rest of the way through tomorow. Then I'll have two logs to work with.

I'm having my doubts about the whole project: is the wood too dense and heavy; will I be able to maneuver across the river; should I be thinking inner tubes instead; should I be thinking watercolors instead of caveman art- stuff like that.

So I'm trying not to let common sense get too in the way. I'm definitely getting a good work out. I can see my apetite is improving. I like getting down to the river. I like chopping. I enjoy the animals around me. Building a small fire before returning to the house is becoming a ritual.

Now I'm back inside. I need to eat yet. The wash is still in the sink. The wood stove is waiting. All in all things are good. I am making headway. Maybe it's more physical than mental or academic but I am immersing myself in the antFarm. I am learning what it is like for me to be here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps, my friend, you're learning what it is like to be, besides yourself; no small task for any human, and the artist's mission.

24.4.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, mister, your "comment" indicator indicates "0" when, in fact, you have an insightful comment waiting to be consumed.

24.4.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home