Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Best Game in Town

Day 7: Friday, April 21

Hello again. 3:43 PM, mostly odds and ends so far- laundry, coffee, sweeping the mud I tracked in last night, emptying ashes from my favorite household appliance, some food, sorting recycling, unpacking, repacking, getting papier mache supplies readied up- stuff like that.

How come I woke up late?
How come I'm still in the house?
How come life is still just a-okay even though I'm not feeling much mastery over my suroundings?

Focus, right? Narrow it all down and be focussed, ...right?
At least 8 or 9 hours till bed time. I'll tell you how it goes.

Oh right- one thing I want to add about yesterday:
I counted about 4000 wheelchair pushes on the way into town and 4800 on the way back.
The way in I didn't start counting till 20 minutes or so out of the house and stopped just after passing the town border while on the way back I counted door to door.
I'll have to try that experiment again. It sure takes a lot of concentration to not loose track of what ten, hundred, or even thousand is being gone through.

Okay, over and out from the antFarm till after dark.

So it is late again. My shoulders are finally sore. I chopped out a pretty good log from the end of a broken tree. Guess I'll need at least one or two more like that. The upper end of this one was maybe two feet above my head. As I got about 3/4's through it, it occurred to me I had better be real careful I don't wind up underneath it. A bit of thought and a big old branch for a lever did the trick. Then it was almost dark and time to light another fire by the river. Wasn't quite as easy as last time due to yesterday's rain. It came together though- heat and light and all. The trip back up the hill was funny, I couldn't quite get why it was such hard work. It wasn't that big of a deal the other night. Between yesterday's trip into town and sorting out that log, seems I am working myself some.

So now I'm back in the farmhouse. Of course the woodstove's "on button" has been pushed. I did the dishes and cooked some food. The pot should be cooled down by now.

Plus I learned that 640 acres is a square mile. The antFarm is 0.311 of these square miles.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answers:

1 - Because you aren't tough yet, like a REAL antFarmer - one who's able to party all night to the music and light, in preparation to rise at the crack of dawn. Keep a good grip on the whipping post and your teeth clenched, and you'll get there, sonny.

2 - If "x" represents the time it takes, on average, to get from bed to not still-in-the-house, and "z" represents the time you get up (perhaps "ZZZZ" is more appropriate in this case), and to not be a loser-antFarmer z + x must be < noon of any given day, then if x + z is > noon it explains it. Therefore, to become a winner-antFarmer, I suggest reducing z to < noon - x. While x may be a variable, keep in mind that you're totally screwed if noon - z is a negative number. Go figure.

3 - That's simple - Hilltop antFarm LIVES!

Area needing corrections:

It is NOT true that 640 acres IS a square mile; however, it CAN be if posed correctly. A square mile IS 640 acres; however, a rectangle 4 miles long and a 1/4 mile wide IS ALSO 640 acres, but - obviously - not a square.
If you're a'hanker'n to do the math, an acre holds 43,560 square feet.

Finally, the antFarm, in its entirety, is 0.546875 of a square mile, more or less.

I'm not your brother.

Where's Lars, by the way?

22.4.06  
Blogger Sean said...

1) What is a "real" antFarmer aside from one who farms forms on the former Kuld farm?


2) Shall I say beautific, beautiful, or just plain thank you so much for all the laughter and sense of connectedness prompted by the latest G reply... or is it properly g ???


3)1992 Red Lake County Farm & Home Publishers, Ltd. :
Leonard Kuld 199 (meaning 199 acres)

640 acres x 0.546875 = 350 acres
what about the other 151 acres ?


By the way- or since this is an online thing, BTW-- what's up with this rod and chain stuff in the first place?

22.4.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aF dude:

1) I believe I included the definition of a "real" antFarmer in my previous comment; like climbing a shear-faced wall of granite, the crack is that to which one needs to rise - thereby making the antFarmer real.

2) g-whiz.

3) It's hidden somewhere.

A rod = 5 and 1/2 yards, or 16 and 1/2 feet; a chain = 66 feet (22 yards), and conveniently 4 rods; a square chain is one tenth of an acre; a square rod is 160th of an acre; 10 chains squared is 10 acres; 20 chains squared is 40 acres; 30 chains squared is 90 acres (is there some symmetry happening here?); 80 chains can easily line themselves up to make a mile; a link is 100th of a chain, measuring nearly 8" at 7.92"; a rod times half a mile makes an acre, too.

Next lesson: metes and bounds.

Just finished up a delightful dish of greens, black-eyed peas and shrimp. Yum. I'm not your brother, but you really ought to eat more greens. I love them - collards being my fav, but a nice bunch of kale will melt a heart or two, too. Saute garlic, sliced red onions and diced sweet potatoes in olive oil and join with some nice, salty sausage. Yum.

BTW, cheerios.

22.4.06  
Blogger Sean said...

It was 5036 pushes from the porch to the beer store.
It was 1086 from the beer store to the Spot.
I scored a ride home from there, not without some trouble.
The pork chop, potato and half cooked onion were very suitable.

There is still some wood in the shed but I am quite warm.

Thank you so much.

23.4.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

25.5.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

25.5.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home