Monday, May 29, 2006

Left Turns and Cross Traffic

June 2, 1:06 AM

Selected the above title while back seating on the way to the Perkiomen Creek area last Sunday. The last bits of ball point ink are just fading from my left palm today, well yesterday at this point.

So the next post (this one) is supposed to be about going up Mount Washington's Autoroad.

I learned the phrase "I'm of two minds" or is it "I'm in two minds" well I guess it would be "two minds are in me" before it could ever be "I'm in two minds" so it must have been "I'm of two minds". Anyway I learned this phrase in the UK. It means you are pulled in different directions, trying to figure which fork to take.

Another phrase I learned in England: "I'm not bothered". This one is good. On the outside it looks like a person is stating that they are flexible and not concerned with choosing between options. On the inside though, what it really means is that the individual using the expression is actually so bothered that decision is futile.

Anyway, I'm of 2.7 minds and I am bothered.

Vijay made it to the two mile marker. I went past the five mile marker. I got a bit bothered and called it for the day. We had excellent suport from Jean Lee. She is a North Conway local, a bicyclist, and a stay at home mom- or mum as they say in the UK. Now Vijay knows the road is challenging. Now Sean knows he didn't see the snow he was hoping to see. Now Jean knows what it is like to be near the treeline on the Autoroad with zero traffic.

Overall it couldn't have been better. Now to take a moment and step away from existential truisms: The day we went up the Autoroad was the first sunny day that that area had seen in a month. Having the sun ride with us on our trip up the Autoroad gave me a feeling of priviledge and specialness.

The road is still there. I am of 2.84 minds now and yes, I'm still bothered. Vijay will be doing handcycling in Colorado on less steep roads next. I will be going back to North Conway in a few weeks. Jean will be going to the woods.

More later then?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home